Immerse yourself in international affairs. Meet exceptional people. Learn to lead. Find your passion. Be a Global Scholar.
American University. July 14 – July 28, 2013
Global Scholar is an intensive global leadership program for high school students who are eager to build a more peaceful, just and sustainable world. We believe that today’s leaders must possess a firm understanding of global challenges, be confident in their ability to mobilize others, and have the skills and opportunities to make change happen. Global Scholar is unique in that it provides all three, in a really interactive, substantive and fun package!
Program highlights include:
- Seminars with policy experts on key global challenges like security, climate change, and the rights of women and girls. This year we’re excited to announce new partnerships with some of the most impactful organizations tackling global challenges, including: Care USA and the Global Campaign for Education! See a list of last year’s seminars on our website: http://www.globalscholar.org/curriculum/
- Visits to embassies, Capitol Hill, think tanks, USAID and other D.C. institutions. In 2012, Scholars met the Ambassadors from Afghanistan, Bahrain and Niger, toured the World Bank, USAID and State Department, and met with their Senator’s offices on Capitol Hill to discuss foreign policy challenges including the global food crisis and child marriage.
- Workshops on leadership, communications, public speaking, advocacy and policymaking. Led by expert youth organizers, the workshops are a highlight of the program. Scholars leave with an extensive toolkit they can put to use right away on their campuses or in their communities. See a list of workshops on our website: http://www.globalscholar.org/curriculum/.
- A Campaign Innovation Clinic, which gives Scholars the valuable opportunity to draft real-world campaigns or initiatives they can lead on their campuses or in their communities.
- And of course, exploring beautiful Washington D.C. in the summertime! Last year we visited the Smithsonian Museums and Kennedy Center, went to a Nationals Game, and checked out fireworks on the National Mall!
This summer we’re also excited to announce new partnerships with leading organizations working on global issues: Care USA, Action Aid and the Global Campaign for Education. We’ll be spending time at the offices of each of these groups to learn about how they address challenges including climate change, protecting the rights of women and girls, and access to education. It will be a fantastic opportunity to learn directly from people doing this work on a daily basis (and to see what it’s like to work on international issues too!).
Global Scholar is the only summer program on global issues that offers a robust mix of both seminars and skillbuilding; we believe that students shouldn’t just get informed, they should get activated to build a better world. Find out more online at: www.globalscholar.org.
After participating in Global Scholar, I have a more critical eye of world events and global issues. I don’t just accept what is written in the news. I can now read between the lines and think about why a problem happened, who is affected and how it might be resolved. – Daphnee, Global Scholar alum
“We live in a truly global age… To solve most of the major problems facing our country today – from wiping out terrorism… to eliminating the scourge of AIDS – will require every young person to learn more about other regions, cultures and languages.” – Colin Powell, former US Secretary of State
Contact us to find out more: email@example.com or 202.709.6172.