IMMERSE YOURSELF IN INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS. MEET EXCEPTIONAL PEOPLE. LEARN TO LEAD. FIND YOUR PASSION. BE A GLOBAL SCHOLAR!
American University. July 19 – July 31, 2015
Calling all young global leaders! Global Scholar is a life-changing global leadership program for students who are eager to build a more peaceful, just and sustainable world.
We provide the training, knowledge and support young leaders need to succeed. Through meetings with foreign policy experts, workshops in leadership and communications, and drafting a real project or campaign to launch in their community, Global Scholars gain a rare and powerful set of skills that enables them to succeed in school, and in life.
Now in our ninth year, Global Scholar will once again be based at American University in beautiful Washington, D.C.
We believe young global leaders need both knowledge and skills to make a difference. Our program includes seminars in international affairs, workshops on social change and leadership, and meetings with experts and decision makers. Learning is hands-on and fun; using simulations, group projects, video and more, our small-group format enables us to focus on the growth and learning of each participant.
Program highlights include:
- Seminars with policy experts on the biggest global challenges facing our generation, including climate change, the rights of women and girls, security, global hunger and more.
- Visits to embassies, Capitol Hill, think tanks and other D.C. institutions. In recent years Scholars have met the Ambassadors from Afghanistan, Bahrain and Niger, toured the World Bank, USAID and State Department, and met with their Senator’s offices on Capitol Hill.
- Global Crisis Simulation. Scholars will be challenged to apply their new skills through a fun, fast-paced and real-time simulation of an evolving global challenge.
- Social Change and Innovation Clinic. This includes workshops on social change, leadership, communications, public speaking, policy making and advocacy. Scholars also write a policy memo and draft a campaign or project to launch back at home.
- Career Panel, during which Scholars meet with young professionals working for the government, non-profit organizations, think tanks and social enterprises. Our small group format guarantees Scholars will have lots of time to ask questions and get advice!
- And of course, exploring beautiful Washington, D.C. in the summertime! We visit the Smithsonian museums, go to a Washington Nationals game, and more! Making friendships that last a lifetime is a big part of the Global Scholar experience.
Training the next generation of global leaders:
Participants report amazing increases in their understanding of global challenges, and their confidence as leaders. We are the only program that emphasizes both issues and skills. Last year, one hundred percent reported they were more confident identifying problems that need to be addressed in their community, and figuring out what they can do about them. They also overwhelmingly reported increases in their confidence leading groups, skills for making change happen, and understanding of the power of youth.
Our graduates have gone on to do amazing things. They have assumed leadership positions of everything from local school clubs to national youth organizations, embarked upon exciting gap year and/or language programs before college, and been admitted to prestigious universities across the country. And many of our graduates have stayed involved with us following the conclusion of the program; we’re particularly proud of that fact, given the focus of this program is to inspire action on the long-term!
The Global Scholar difference:
- We focus on building global leaders who have both the knowledge and the skills to make our world a better place. Most programs just offer coursework. We go beyond the classroom to offer extensive leadership, communications and advocacy training. Scholars practice their new skills through a simulation, and draft real projects or campaigns to launch back home.
- Scholars experience what it’s like to work on global issues, first hand. We spend several days in the office of international organizations, giving Scholars a rare “insider’s” perspective on what a career in international affairs really looks like!
- The experience extends way beyond the summer. Scholars draft real projects or campaigns to launch at home, and have access to year-round training opportunities and alumni network.
- Our small size enables us to focus on the growth and learning of each participant.
- We’re affordable. You’ll find that our programs are significantly less expensive than almost any competitor program (often by as much as half!). This isn’t a business for us; we’re not out to charge students and their families exorbitant fees to participate. Rather, we see this program as our contribution to empowering a generation to build a better world. We offer scholarships (over 30% of participants receive assistance), and can help you fundraise from family and friends to attend.
Contact us to discuss whether it’s a good fit for you! firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.709.6172.
Most of our participants are rising high school juniors and seniors. Scholarship money is available. Please get in touch to discuss whether Global Scholar a good fit for you!